Justices of the Peace in California

Wedding Officiants Civil marriages may be performed in California by an active or retired Judge, Commissioner, or Assistant Commissioner of a court; an active elected mayor of a California city; or by a Deputy Commissioner of Civil Marriages. Also, County Clerks, Recorders, Clerks of the Court, members of Congress and members of the Legislature can conduct a wedding service. Marriage License Marriage licenses -- "regular" and "confidential" (optional for couples living together) -- are obtained from the County Clerk’s office and are valid for 90 days from the date of issuance. Since 2009, the Name Equality Act allows either or both parties to the marriage to officially change his or her middle and last name by noting it on the license.